Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Memorial Day 2012

This was honestly one of the best vacation weekends I've had in a long time. Not sure what was different - we traveled, I had laundry to do, etc.  But I came away from this weekend loving my life, husband, daughters, even more!

The only things we knew we wanted to do over the weekend were 1) go to the beach (Melissa had been asking), 2) go to the birthday party in Sugarland for the Funderboys on Sunday, and 3) go to my parents since my Dad was going to BBQ on Sunday.

Peter, Nathan, and Ann joined us on Friday night since Dallas to Houston is a long drive.  Saturday morning brought tons of play and little chefs helping me make pancake batter in the morning.  I love watching Melissa and Emily with their extended family.  I grew up surrounded by Aunts, Uncles, and cousins, and I'm so blessed that our families are together so often.

Outside play involved bubbles and some toy animals getting mud baths.

I finally realized it was already 9, and if we were going to get out the door and head to the beach, I'd better start packing for that trip and for our overnight stay in Sugarland.  Peter, Nathan, and Ann headed out to Sugarland, and I rushed around throwing far more than we needed in our bags.  We knew we wanted to get on the road as soon as possible, but that there wasn't an actual time we had to be somewhere.

The trip down to Galveston was great - low traffic and the girls slept most of the way.  Eric and I LOVE driving together.  We always have.  It may seem strange, but it works for us, allowing us the chance to talk and hang out in a way that we don't get otherwise.  That was a great way to start our vacation.

Our first stop was to each lunch at a place called The Spot recommended by our friend Elizabeth.  It was perfect.  First - we got a great parking spot.  Second, they have an upstairs patio that looks out over the Seawall to the ocean.  Melissa loved it!  She and Eric went in to grab a table while I fed Emily and changed her in the car.  We joined them and got our lunch ordered and then spent the time watching the traffic, the people and bicycles on the Seawall, the sea gulls, and just listening to and watching the ocean.

Emily loved watching the pigeons on the patio that were looking for leftover food.


Melissa couldn't get enough of the ocean!  (By the way, that hamburger was supposed to be mine, but she decided she wanted the "hangaber", so she ate half of the patty, plus the hot dog that she had originally wanted!)


Our next stop - The Beach!

We had originally planed on going to Stewart Beach, but while driving down the main strip, Eric found an open parking spot on the Seawall, said "How about this?" and I said sure!  Beach is a beach!  Other than it being windy (our umbrella blew away twice!) and the massive amount of seaweed that was on the beach, it was an awesome first trip to the beach.  Melissa enjoyed it so much - I can't wait to go back.

Mommy and Emily coming back from checking out the ocean:


Daddy taking Melissa into the ocean for the first time:

She wasn't that impressed with the ocean, but kept asking for water so she could build her sand castle.

 
  

I cringed a little when she plopped herself down in the sand, knowing how it sticks to EVERYTHING!  But hey - what's at trip to the beach without bringing some of it home with you?
 

Melissa and her sand castle, decorate with seaweed:
  

We next went to Sugarland for a pool birthday party for three of our nephews - Barrett, Trevor, and Reid Funderburk.  Eric and I were so busy either with Melissa or Emily that we didn't take any pictures the whole time we were there!  Fun was had by all!

We rounded out the weekend by visiting a nearby park Monday morning, eating BBQ, and playing in the sprinkler. 





We crammed a lot into our weekend, but it actually felt very relaxing and restful.  Definitely one of my favorite family memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails