Saturday, March 27, 2010

Ouch!

The next Monday (the 9th) started normally, but when I went to pick Melissa up from daycare, I was told that she had been bitten. Now, this was the second time since she's been there and while I understand that this age group has a tendency to bite for almost any reason, it's my baby! And this was pretty bad. (Let me just add that the daycare did everything they needed to do - accident report, first aid, etc. The bite happened, but they responded.)
Day 1:

She had a really bad day Tuesday. Didn't want to be there, cried the whole day, clung to the teacher, etc. After talking to the director, Eric and I discussed removing her from that classroom (the 18 to 24 month olds) and putting her in with the 12-18 month olds. Her behavior was so different that even my Dad noticed the change when we stopped by after I had picked her up on Tuesday.
Day 2:

When I took her in on Wednesday and she started to cry (I mean really cry) as we neared her classroom, I took that as a sign and marched over to the other classroom. She fussed there as well (which I expected since it was something new), but at least let the teacher hold her.
Day 3:
Although Wednesday, Thursday and Friday were a little hard, every day since then has been better. I always felt that Melissa had a hard time adjusting to the new daycare from Miss Connie's. The younger group is more of what she was used to and Eric and I both felt that giving her a little time in a more familiar setting would help her adjust to the daycare routine as opposed to being at someone's house. (That and the fact that the younger kids are more her size!) She has been doing so well this week - walking in and going straight to the teacher. A quick kiss and it's off to play - no tears! That sure makes my day easier!

1 comment:

  1. Eek!! I'm so sorry that happened! I know kids tend to bite, but I don't think that makes it any easier for us when they do. I'm glad you guys are following your gut and standing up for what you think she needs. Good job, mama :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails