Sunday, January 2, 2011

Epiphany

This morning I went to Mass by myself since Melissa had decided she wanted to stay home with Daddy.

It was such a wonderful way to begin the New Year.

Don't get me wrong - I love taking Melissa to Mass.  I enjoy teaching her about our faith and I look forward to watching her grow in the Church.  But today, I realized how difficult it really is to absorb the Mass and hear what is being said when you are trying to keep a little one from being too loud, from running away from you, or from dumping everything in the bag onto the floor.

It was truly cleansing for me to be there alone and take it in without any distractions.  The first reading (from Isaiah 60) began:

"Rise up in splendor, Jerusalem! Your light has come,
the glory of the Lord shines upon you.
See, darkness covers the earth,
and thick clouds cover the peoples;
but upon you the LORD shines,
and over you appears his glory."

How magnificent!  What a wonderful image as we being our new year!

May the glory of the Lord be upon you this year!

1 comment:

  1. I'm at a point where going to church alone sounds like the absolute pinnacle of rejuvenation. By the time we leave church each week, Justin and I are completely worn out from keeping James entertained, quiet, well-behaved, still, etc. And neither of us has any idea what the sermon was about. It's a wreck, and I can only hope this phase will be over soon. I understand why families w/ small kids just quit going to church. It often feels like more trouble than it's worth.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails