Most people that know me realize that I really don't have a creative bone in my body. And that's ok. I'm great at other things, and our home is warm and inviting, even if not magazine ready.
So, we've lived in our house almost 8 years now and most of the walls are still bare. Other than a paint job in the kitchen back when we thought we were selling the house, nothing has been done. And that is mainly because of me. I always thought it would be expensive to decorate (I mean, I've looked at items in the store, but couldn't justify the cost), and I lack the ability to say, "Hey look! I've got 4 Popsicle sticks, some glue, and some beautiful fabric. I think I'll make a professional looking piece of art to hang on the wall that will stand out for it's uniqueness, yet bring everything in our room together and look like it always belonged there."
I'm ready to change that, folks!
Some of my friends and fellow bloggers have posted about things they have made or rooms they have redone. I'm amazed at how a little fabric, some paint and/or some wood to build something can totally transform a room!
I have also discovered some blogs and websites and have been following them the past few months. These blogs have showed me that decorating a house does not have to be expensive (which I had previously assumed), that if you make a mistake it can usually be covered up (i.e. it doesn't have to be perfect!), and that a lot of time you can usually just change what you already have to create a completely different look (we're talking cheap folks!). Another reason they have been so helpful for me is because it gives me actual pictures I can see since I can't envision a project in my head. (Eric, however, is great at that. He has such a gift for creativity!)
So one of my goals for this year is to make our house a home. First we are working on getting rid of some items, so we'll probably really get started on this later in the year. Eric and I have come a long way in our ability to work together and communicate with each other, so I'm really looking forward to seeing what Eric and I can build and create this year!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Good luck! I can not wait to see what you come up with for you home. I am sure that it will be absolutely lovely!
ReplyDeleteTake lots of pictures so I can steal your ideas! :)
ReplyDeleteI love it -- I think you'll find it's really gratifying to make your space your own! I agree on taking lots of pictures. Before and after shots will be fun.
ReplyDelete